Saturday 21 July 2012

Finding time to study & how to distract the children...

Hello readers,


Have you thought about how you are going to find time to study? Or do you have a great plan already in motion?


Finding time to study has been one of the things I have worried about most when considering if it was possible for me to successfully study at home with small children in the house. If I couldn't dedicate some regular blocks of time to my course then I felt that it would surely become too hard and I would soon give up.


So, what to do? I decided I'd better put together a plan and this is what it ended up looking like:




Ha ha ha! Not very professional but I understand it (kind of). I think using my daughters textas and letting her stamp a fairy picture on the top really give it that certain je ne sais quoi!


My plan is to get up at 4am (ouch) and study for 2.5 - 3 hours depending on when my children wake up. I am also lucky enough to have some time on Tuesdays and Wednesdays during the day when the children's grandmother is able to babysit them for me.


I decided to get up early in the morning to study because I am definitely more clear headed then. Some people are morning people and some people are night owls. I am the former. I also thought it would be prudent to make sure that I had allocated regular time to study when my children were asleep and unlikely to distract me.


I expect there are going to be some times when I need to dedicate more time to studying eg. when an assignment is due or at exam time. This is when I may have to start studying on Saturday and/or Sunday mornings too and also try to find some time during the day when my children are home. 


This brings up another question. How am I going to study with two demanding children wanting my attention?


My first thought was 'Sesame Street' on a continuous loop! Unfortunately it would probably only buy me an hour before my 3 year old would probably be looking for alternative stimulation. That's when I decided to Google for some other people's ideas. 


My favourite link is the following: Studying With Children Underfoot.


Many different websites had referenced it and I think I will refer back to it from time to time in the months ahead.


Do you have any good tips and tricks? Please feel free to leave a comment at the bottom of this post.


Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment